CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I TOLD u SO!!

Why does it seem like everyone has a right to direct ur life but “you”. I can’t tell u how many times I’ve heard “What are u doing”, (I respond) and then it’s followed by “Why? Don’t u think you should get your masters first and then work for an oil company or a bank? I mean why are my options limited to OIL, Bank and Law? (am not a med student so Doctor is not there)

I don’t get it, help me understand this, if you go to the top law school in the world, you will find a plethora of Nigerians, yet we are a LAWLESS NATION, if you go to the top medical school in the world, you find even more Nigerians, but yet our healthcare is a JOKE, if you go to the accounting world; again, u will be meet many nigerians, but yet we are #1 on the list of CORRUPT nations. So Tell me what sense does it make to pursue those careers when those before me have done nothing GREAT!

Why is it not okay for me to “still be deciding”? to venture out in different things before I make a huge plunge, why is it a crime that I am taking a year off before I pursue my masters, instead of “BAGGING” another degree only for me to end up doing something completely different.

I don’t know about you I am not one of those people that like to dress themselves in degrees and big English, with nothing to show for.

Today I went to a coffee-shop by my office and felt like I was in another world, the place (like every other cool hangout spot in lagos) is owned by lebanese business people. They were all over the place, and today I saw an oyibo man driving in the lagos traffic and I thought to myself, when I left there were not that many “foreigners’, now they’re everywhere which is super cool because it helps in strengthening the cosmopolitan feel of this city. Anyways but really why do we have a lot of foreigners chilling here, making big money, creating their own mini-world here while am still being told that I should go back and bag another degree and work for a couple of years. I know what I want to do, I’ve always known but when u hear that ur ideas are nothing more than “kiddie talk” you begin to doubt yourself.

Anyways I have no choice now, am back to make all my dreams a reality, even if I fail (which is impossible) I will be glad to know that at least I tried. So I end with wise words from one of my favorite thinkers: Ralph Waldo Emerson

“A man should learn to detect and watch that gleam of light which flashes across his mind from within, more than the lustre of the firmament of bards and sages. Yet he dismisses without notice his thought, because it is his. In every work of genius we recognize our own rejected thoughts: they come back to us with a certain alienated majestyElse, to-morrow a stranger will say with masterly good sense precisely what we have thought and felt all the time, and we shall be forced to take with shame our own opinion from another."

No comments: